Skip to content
- 1861 One o’clock Gun set up at Edinburgh Castle. Colour drawings – Riggers setting up cable – Firing procedure – The Half Moon Battery Edinburgh Castle 1882
- 1863 Time guns set up at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Shields and South Shields.
- 1872 Dundee time gun set up.
- 1896 Royal Observatory opens on Blackford Hill. Time Circuit, One o’clock Gun
- 1913 32 pounder installed as One o’clock Gun
- 1923 18 pounder field gun replaces 32 pounder in July
- 1941 18 pounder field gun sent to Bute to be used as an anti-tank weapon. Found to be impractical the gun is soon withdrawn from service. The One o’clock Gun resumed firing four years later.
- 1952 25 pounder replaces 18 pounder field gun in May. Time gun moved to Mills Mount Battery in 1971 and the clock withdrawn from service.
- 2001 105mm Light Gun replaces 25 pounder in November.